In the very late 1800's, Arthur Armstrong, a Delaware, had a home by the Caney River near the current Highway 123 Bridge, in an area which became the North Delaware Community. He held Baptist services in one side of the house which was called the Caney Valley Baptist Church. In 1897, Rev. Robert Owen became pastor of the this First Baptist congregation and directed removal of the church services from the Armstrong building to a new frame church at the southwest corner of 4th Street and Cherokee Avenue, a site occupied today by the fourth First Baptist Church structure. This frame church was the first building Bartlesville constructed exclusively for religious purposes.
Copyright 2008-2015. Bartlesville Heritage Trail. All rights reserved.
First Baptist Church
404 SE Cherokee Avenue